Don’t talk to me about the war- Not one to baulk at honest comparisons between British and German products, in this film appraisal I look at the RME ADI-2 DAC FS and compare it to the British Chord Qutest DAC, see article here
RME are a pro audio firm and make audio components for pro applications. What we often see when products cross over from other spheres into the Audio World, is great VFM. For instance we see this in a comparison between a Roon Nucleus and an intel NUC – same or similar device but wildly different prices, as much as I do love, support and use the Roon interface.
Chord Electronics produce fantastic products such as the Hugo TT2 or the DAVE but as a Qutest owner myself, you wonder when a product is going to come along to take its crown. So I ask in this simple appraisal – is this RME a Qutest Killer?
Since trying it with test systems 1-3 I have also used it with system 4 and it has a kept its similar sonic character, both in an absolute sense and relative to the Qutest I use.
Some more information below;
RME Audio ; Am Pfanderling 60 , D-85778 Haimhausen ,Germany
Tel : +49 (0) 8133 918170
Fax: +49 (0) 8133 9166
Web : https://www.rme-audio.de
Distributed in the UK by Syntax Audio : https://www.synthax.co.uk/ ; Unit 13, Sovereign Park, Cleveland Way, Hemel Hempstead, HP2 7DA, Tel: +44 (0) 1727 821 870, E-Mail: info(@)synthax.co.uk
- Inputs : Digital – optical, coaxial RCA, USB2.0
- Outputs rear : 2 x RCA, 2 x XLR
- Outputs front : 1/4 inch and 3.5mm IEM headphones
- Included power supply: external switching PSU, 100 – 240 V AC, 2 A, 24 Watts
- Dimensions (WxHxD): 215 x 52 x 150 mm (8.5″ x 2.05″ x 5.9″)
- Weight: 1.0 kg ( 2.2 lbs)
1) **PMC twenty5 23 speakers, Cyrus Mono X200 signature power amps, Cyrus DAC XP Signature pre amp with PSX-R power supply, Innuos Zenith Mk2 Roon source / sever into the RME ADI-2 over USB (Chord C-USB)
2) HIFIMAN Jade 2 Electrostatic Headphone System, Innuos Zenith Mk2
3) MAS Audio Science X5i IEMs, Innuos Zenith Mk2 Source