Google Chromecast Audio Film
The Chromecast Audio streamer was dropped by Google earlier this year, but you can get it for between £$20-30 online still.
Looking like an ice hockey puck and almost the same size – hence the ice background!, it is shooting above what it does. OK, so it’s not for dedicated high quality audio but it has its uses!
It suits HiFi up to £/$1000 and is a great convenience solution for streaming whilst away in hotels with cheap iPod dock type speakers. Or a bedroom or kitchen set up perhaps.
I’ve even used it with a Chord Qutest DAC and other better DACs and the Chromecast is surprising how well it achieves great sound quality for the money.
A good time to snap one up as a bargain as stocks run out, or get in an early Chrissie present for someone. It comes recommended by me. My video about the Chromecast Audio is suitable as a quick guide if you have little time;
Chromecast Audio specifications
- Stereo analog output [2Vrms]
- Optical digital output
- High-Resolution Audio: 96KHz/24-bit
- Package: 124.4 x 42.85 x 124 mm
- Device: 51.9 x 51.9 x 13.49 mm (not including cables or accessories)
- Audio cable: 146 mm (5.7 in)
- Power cable: 1.75 m (69 in)
- Weight: 30.7 g (0.068 lbs)
- Ports & Connectors
- 3.5mm jack with analog and optical digital audio output
- Color: Black
- Connectivity/Network: Wi-Fi 802.11 b/g/n/ac (2.4GHz/5Ghz)
- Power: 5V, 1A power supply
- Wireless Security: WEP, WPA/WPA2
- Supported Audio Formats:
- HE-AAC, LC-AAC, MP3, Vorbis, WAV (LPCM), Opus, FLAC with support for high-resolution streams (24-bit/96KHz)
Google ChromeCasting Built In – see here.