A video review from my YouTube Channel of the new-ish FiiO R7 streaming headphone desktop DAC. The R7 fits a need for a premium, upright, desk space saving streaming DAC with android touch screen use and headphone outputs.
Match it with the inexpensive PL50 power supply as I did in my review for a very capable HiFi DAC which easily outshines the audio quality of a Bluesound Node 2021. Alternatively, as I considered its main forte and per its clear obvious design, a desktop based headphone DAC.
What I really like?
I like the easy ability to switch from headphone use using the front input dial and covered headphone sockets, to using it as a pre amp with a pair of active speakers without the need for space taking desktop speaker amps ….in my later review I pair the FiiO R7 with FiiO’s matching SP3 active speakers – see here
I also really appreciated the touchpad display, ability to playback images or video as if using it as a portrait android mobile phone, and Roon Ready switching. It also comes across that FiiO are a company that like to think of the end user – the most obvious being the matching coloured power leads to, in the case of the SP3’s, Left or Right switching of your master speaker to tie in with power outlet location.
To name a few, another plus is the ability to EQ music in the R7’s FiiO music app for USB, DLNA, and rear SD card sources. Find out more in my YouTube video and be sure to subscribe.
- Four Output Modes – Pre-Out / Phones output, Phones output, Pre-Out, Line Out
- DC/AC Power Supply via rear switch and use of IEC or barrel input
- ESS9068AS DAC with THX AAA 788+ dual headphone amps, Snapdragon 660 processing
- Five gain levels
- 3.6W max headphone power output
- Portrait Media Streaming via Android interface
- WiFi / Ethernet network connectivity
- Bluetooth 5.0 – AAC/SBC/aptX/aptX HD/LDAC/LHDC
- XLR Balanced Line outs / X 2 singled ended RCA line-outs
- USB A / C host interface for USB expansion ports / USB drives etc
- Digital In : optical and coax
- Digital Out : optical and coax
- Rear SD card input with micro SD adapter
- Two bases – angled or flat
Further information (Specs) : here