So they say we hear from 20Hz to 20Khz but often a HiFi system gets nowhere near to 20Hz with the particular speakers in the mix and this is the main reason you might consider a Subwoofer like the REL T/7x. Maybe for speakers such as KEF’s excellent but diminutive LS50 Meta’s
But here lies a hidden misconception about the use of a subwoofer in a HiFi system and as I say in my video, it is a misconception I had too….They are not just bass boxes to bolster the low end grunt of your system! A good sub is not noticed in the system. This is how REL’s Rob Hunt is explaining proceedings to me as he is busy setting up wires with this demo unit he has brought around. I deliberately ask for the cheaper REL T/7x because a) I think more people will be able to afford it and this is my first subwoofer review, and b) I’m not a self indulgent audiophile seeking products always for myself. Also it might work better in my room than the bigger T/9x.
This is is why my articles are normally short and sweet on this website….they serve as an addition and catalogue to my videos on YouTube where the effort, sweat, blood and tears is already at a high enough zenith already. A place you can index and search for my YouTube reviews, which in 2022 is the primary means of people gaining information about HiFi.
Watch my creatively made video with a Saul Bass inspired theme, in which I ask the question, Do you need a Sub? Also I get to grips with operation and how to set this REL T/7x up and I look at REL’s Arrow used to operate their subwoofers remotely and losslessly, where long throws of cable are not possible and to ensure best placement in your room.
- Type : Front-firing active driver, down-firing passive
- Actual driver size & material : 8 in, 200 mm long throw FibreAlloy, inverted dust cap, steel chassis
- Passive Radiator Size & Material : 10in 254mm long-throw, inverted dust cap
- Low Frequency Extension : -6db at 30Hz
- Input Connectors : High Level Neutrik Speakon, Low Level Single RCA, LFE RCA
- Output connectors : N/A
- Power Output : 200W
- Amplifier Type : Class A/B
- Wireless Capability : Arrow (optional), Zero Compression, Single Large Scale Integrated Chip
- Mains Input Voltage : 220-240v, 110-120v for certain markets
- Fuses : 2 Amp Semi delay 230 volts operation, 4 Amp semi delay 115 volts operation
- Dimensions : 356 x 320 x 363mm
- Weight : 17.5KG
- Finish : High Gloss Black, High Gloss White – 5 coats
$1099 / £999